Sunday, October 14, 2012

The What am I going to do about it part of the last post.

So here we go.  I start this thing off with all the good stuff I have read.  Any questions?  I have the books if you don't have the funds or access to the reading I will be glad to look something up just give me a shout.  If your local and want to look something up let me know we can meet for some coffee, I always want to meet like minded individuals.

Next, I want to connect with some different groups around atlanta and do a bit of volunteering.  Maybe I can help them with what I have read and they can help me with the hands on stuff.  On that note I found a great group of people down in Decatur  at a place which used to be called the Oakhurst Community Garden but they changed their name to The Wylde Center , here is the link: http://wyldecenter.org/  They are really nice people with a great program.  I only helped for 2 days and the director Stephanie Van Parys showed me how to remove seedling plugs and transfer them to larger containers for later sale.  They are a non profit and sell a lot of plants to fund activities that they have going on from beekeeping to raising rabbits and chickens to composting.  I took a composting class last year and built a composter for my backyard. 

There is no great science to transfering seedlings but what I did learn is the trays with the square holes allowed the plug to come free much more easily and whole (which I would think should lead to better growth due to less root disturbance) 

 
These are the ones I liked : above
These are the ones that were a bit more difficult : below
 
 
Another thing I learned was the that volunteer that was before me either created more work or made things much easier for me.  If the volunteer was careful and put 1 seed in each plug hole they were quick and easy to get out and transplant, if they put 3 or 4 in each hole then you had to spend time seperating the seedlings and taking more time.  It was fun and I'm sure I will do it again soon. 
 
 

No comments: